- Purple paper lanterns with a base (try Party Wholesale; I found mine at The Reject Shop)
- 2 x rolls of purple streamers (we used two different shades) (try Pink Frosting)
- Washi tape (try Notemaker.com.au)
- White cardstock
- Black permanent marker or black paint
- Red permanent marker or red paint
- Double-sided sticky tape
- Tape measure
1. Carefully assemble the purple lanterns
2. Cut 1.5m lengths of purple streamers - 8 for each octopus.
3. Lay the streamers down next to each other with a 1cm overlap (we alternated colours)
4. Attach the bottom half of a length of washi tape along the top of the streames to secure together
5. Carefully pick up the washi tape at each end with the streamer legs attached, and secure around the base of the lantern.
6. Draw eye and mouth shapes on white cardstock. Fill in with marker or paint.
7. Cut the eye and mouth shpaes out and attach to the lantern with double-sided sticky tape (or hot glue for a more permanent fixture).
8. Tie string to the top of the lantern to hang your octopuses! (octopi, if you prefer)
If you can't find a lantern with a round base, you can also attach the streamers to a wire base. Cut 4 x 3m streamers and thread over the wire. Secure with a staple or two.
This ombre purple lantern would make an amazing octopus! I also love this purple chevron lantern or this purple lace lantern for a sweet touch.
Let me know if you make one!
Images and tutorial: Steph Bond-Hutkin | Bondville